Title: Lead Instructor: Climate Warriors Summer Filmmaking Intensive
Report to: Youth and Emerging Media Maker Program Manager
CLIMATE WARRIORS LEAD INSTRUCTOR POSITION
BAVC Media Youth and Emerging Media Makers (YEMM) is looking for a lead instructor for its Climate Warriors Summer Filmmaking Intensive! As the face of our summer program, the lead instructor is in charge of instruction and supervision of 20 students (14-18 y/o) as they make a climate-justice oriented short film over the course of four weeks. With the support of a team of two producers (teaching assistants), the lead instructor is responsible for developing or adapting our existing curriculum to guide students through all phases of the video production process (pre-production, production, and post-production). In addition, our lead instructor is responsible for identifying community partner organizations or guest artists/speakers to visit our students whose work is relevant to our climate justice theme.
We are looking for an instructor well versed in not only the filmmaking process, but also rooted in the climate justice universe!
SHARED VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Support YEMM in bringing their mission statement to life in innovative ways
- Commit to building a community of people who are actively supporting the work of youth voices in the world of film and environmental activism
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Communicate kindly, constructively and directly with co-workers and supervisors
- Offer constructive feedback to make the program better
- Commit to the following days of the program: July 5th – July 28th Monday-Friday 1-4pm
- Background check required including Live Scan test and TB test (TB test must be completed within the last 4 years in California)
- Be very upbeat and energetic when interacting with students and parents
- A natural leader
- Professional experience creating video content using dSLR or video cameras, non-linear editing software, lighting equipment, and audio recording devices
- Self-motivated and able to work alone successfully and efficiently
- Ability to work collaboratively with your supervisor and other staff members
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm
- Experience as lead instructor of in-school or after-school program
- Past BAVC Media program participants encouraged to apply
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In charge of instructing and supervising students in pre-production, production, and post-production topics throughout the program
- Direct a team of two producers (teaching assistants)
- Passionate about helping the participants to realize their vision and complete a final short film focused on a climate justice issue
- Technical skills: Teaching experience and experience with our programs’ technical resources are a plus. Student filmmakers at BAVC Media use the Canon M50, Zoom H4n handy recorders, and Sennheiser boom mics for production. Filmmakers use Adobe Creative suite – including Premiere Pro CC and After Effects – for post-production.
- Soft skills: The Climate Warriors Lead Instructor should be skilled in mediation, and be able to maintain a collaborative learning environment that is encouraging and safe for students of all backgrounds and abilities.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use hands and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, kneeling
BAVC Media will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
- Hourly Rate: $25-28
- Free access to Adobe Creative Suite during the summer
- Be a part of the BAVC Media YEMM community that supports the next generation of filmmakers!
- Please email your most updated resume to email@example.com and fill out our job application at the following link:
Bay Area Video Coalition is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regards to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodations when necessary. For the purposes of ADA, the “Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Significant work is performed in a typical interior community meeting space or classroom work environment, with typical noise and other disruption.
- Both standing/ sitting are required for long periods of time. High use of computers and related equipment is required.
- Various types of equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to, video and editing equipment, instruction supplies, computers/labs, classroom materials, telephones and other common communication devices.
The previous statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel in this position.