How do I renew my membership?
There are a few ways you can renew your membership:
- Through our website by adding a new membership to your cart, just like you’re signing up for the first time.
- In person at our office located at 2727 Mariposa Street, Suite 200 (Floor 2) [on hold during COVID-19]
- By mailing a check along with your up-to-date contact information
- By calling the Receptionist at (415) 861-3282 (press 0 for the front desk) and paying with a credit card over the phone.
- Emailing our Office Manager to request an email invoice payable online through Paypal
If you are renewing online, choose the level you’d like to renew at and go through the registration process normally – it’s exactly the same whether you are a new or renewing member. If you are a renewing member who has already created a BAVC Media online account, log in to your account first (by clicking “Log In” at the top of the page) and you’ll be redirected straight to the payment screen. If you’ve forgotten your username or password, we can retrieve them for you, just email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I know if if I should pay at the “Low Income” level?
We know that financial insecurity can look different for different people and we encourage you to pay at whatever level you are comfortable affording. We trust that, if your situation changes in the future, you will choose to renew at a higher level, to help support others who might struggle to pay membership fees.
That said, the City and County of San Francisco consider the following documents as Proof of Low Income status for their purposes:
- Your last available tax return (showing that you earn less than $23,750/year)
or proof of enrollment in one of the following:
- Food stamps
- Healthy San Francisco
- Section 8 housing
- a free and reduced school lunch program
- the MUNI Lifeline program
- Social Security
Additionally, we found the resources and metrics in this blog to be helpful for making sense of sliding scales.
What kind of a discount does a member get on classes?
All members receive discounts on classes. For example:
- On a one-day class members save $50 – membership can pay for itself right off the bat!
- On a two-day class a members save $80-$90 on each and every class.
- On our Portfolio Development class a member saves $140 bucks! Holy cow!
- And on our DSLR Bootcamp a member saves $220. That’s like a slush fund for your next gear purchase.
Can I use your computers?
As a BAVC Media member, you have access to computers with video editing software in the Access Lab for up to 8 hours a month (unless you are working on content for SF Commons). To make a reservation, contact email@example.com.
You may also occasionally access other free computer labs when available for open lab time. Our Office Manager, Sara, can tell you up to two weeks in advance whether there will be additional lab space open for members – just email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your spot.
Can I use BAVC Media for a meeting or as a work space?
As a BAVC Media member, you can have flexible access to our space. This includes the ability to reserve time (as available) in a Conference Room or the Multipurpose Room for meetings or gatherings related to a media project you are working on. To make a reservation, please contact email@example.com. Additionally, you may drop by to work in our lounge or other open spaces on occasion so long as you sign in at the Front Desk, follow our community guidelines, and are courteous with your use of the facilities.
Please note open access to the facility is on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic. If you would like to organize a virtual gathering hosted through BAVC Media, please let us know what you have in mind.
How can I check out equipment?
Rental equipment is only available to SF Commons Producers for check out. If you are both a BAVC Media member and a resident of the City of San Francisco, you are eligible to use this equipment to produce a show for the SF Commons Public Access channel. Additional services available to SF Commons Producers include: production & post-production training, drop-in editing stations in the Access Lab, Live Studio trainings and reservations, and ongoing workshop and group production opportunities. For more information, visit SF Commons.
How can I submit my show to SF Commons?
For information about SF Commons and to submit your show, contact Javan Jiles, SF Commons Equipment Coordinator, at javan[at]BAVC Media[dot]org or call 415.558.2125.
Where can I find more information about classes? How can I sign up for classes?
To find out about the classes we offer and to sign up, visit our class directory.
Who can help me figure out what classes to take?
Not sure if you should be in intro or intermediate? Or just have questions about classes? Please contact our Enrollment Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Which local businesses offer discounts to BAVC Media Members?
BAVC Media is pleased to partner with the following companies to offer discounts to our members. Visit any of these locations and receive a discount on services rendered on products and/or services purchase. Be sure to mention your BAVC Media membership prior to purchase (you will be required to show proof of membership).
- Polarity Post Production offers 10% off all professional audio services. Audio post-production, recording studios, digital audio production, mastering and replication. Please note that this discount does not apply to localization projects.
- 69 Green St. San Francisco, CA 94114. Phone: 415.421.6622
TAPE TRANSFERS AND DUPLICATION
EQUIPMENT SALES AND RENTAL
- 10% off in-house rentals at Express Media. (See above for contact information).
- 10% off at Borrow Lenses, the largest video and photography equipment rental company in the US. Discount available to use for one purchase only. All products are individually cleaned and specifications checked and recalibrated by expert photographer aficionados. All rentals are sent with Fed Ex ensuring your rentals arrive on time. Order online here.
- 20% off all lighting rentals and purchases at Little Giant Lighting & Grip Co.
- 3050 23rd St. [Entrance is on Treat St.] San Francisco, CA 94110
- Phone: 451.626.3555
- 10% off at JCX Expendables. Their motto: “Use ‘Em, Abuse ‘Em…they’re not flesh and blood.”
- 2413 Harrison St. San Francisco, CA 94110
- Phone: 415.824.1371
- Oddball Film and Video has amazing collection of eclectic and rare footage to add depth to your project. Discounts on selected services and footage to be determined on a per-project basis.
- 5% off rentals at City-Rent-A-Car. If you are coming to the Bay Area and need a car.
- 1433 Bush St. San Francisco, CA 94109. Phone: 415.359.1331
Still have more questions about Member discounts? Contact email@example.com.
How can I get a discount with Adobe and Apple?
Please note that only members who are also currently BAVC Media students are eligible for a discount on Adobe products. Please contact membership at firstname.lastname@example.org for a letter certifying that you are a student at BAVC Media. You can then contact Adobe directly requesting a discount. For more information, please read Adobe’s student software discount page.
As a BAVC Media member, you are eligible for the standard educational discount on Apple products purchased through BAVC Media’s online Apple store.
Where is my membership card?
We are not currently providing membership cards to new or current members. If you need evidence of a BAVC Media Membership, please email email@example.com.
Where is BAVC Media located?
BAVC Media is located on the second floor of 2727 Mariposa St. (at Bryant St.) in San Francisco, California.