- Take Classes
- Youth Programs
- Digital Pathways
- Advanced Tracks
- Remix Videos
- Adobe Youth Voices
- Digital Pathways
- SF Commons
- Independent Media
- Client Profiles
- A/V Artifact Atlas
- Submit an Inquiry
- Preserving Dance Heritage
- Lost Treasures
- Preservation Access Program
- Get A Job
Programs, Facilities, & Services
Please note our $20 cancellation fee for any service cancelled less than 48 hours in advance, and visit our Policies & Procedures page for additional rules about accessing services.
- Program hours (staff usually available): Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm-7:00pm. First Saturday of the month: 10:00am-3:00pm. If you need to meet with staff or need assistance, an appointment is recommended.
FOR INDIVIDUAL PRODUCERS
- Free access to production equipment and postproduction facilities
- Get your shows broadcast on cable television and the Web
- Launch and develop new TV, film, and webisode ideas
- Join a growing community, get experience, and get involved
- Low-cost trainings ($20 to $60)
FOR NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS
Nonprofits are welcome to join BAVC and produce programs and public service announcements (PSAs) for SF Commons. Nonprofits simply join BAVC at the Nonprofit rate to obtain BAVC membership priviledges and SF Commons access priviledges for up to four staff members or volunteers. Besides the usual nonprofit benefits of BAVC membership, nonprofits join SF Commons for the following reasons:
- Public access television is a community service for local nonprofits
- Get your message out on local cable television and the web
- Create public service announcements to promote events and issues
- Low cost video training for your staff and volunteers
- Access to training, production and postproduction facilities, and support
- Participation in an annual "PSA Day" to produce public service announcements for your nonprofit
TRAININGS & CERTIFICATIONS
Any SF Commons member may access trainings & certifications. There are currently three types of training available: Flash studio, Production, and Postproduction. You must be certified in order to use the equipment. Certifications are inexpensive; roughly $10 per hour of training. A full certification schedule and the ability to register online is now available. If we can verify that you have accessed the equipment or completed a training on the gear within the past year, you do not need to attend a full training; you may simply attend a brief Certification (one to two hours) to demonstrate your capability with the gear and to become certified to reserve and use that gear.
Single-camera kits, audio equipment, tripods, light kits, and sound kits, are now available for reservations. Reservations may be made up to two months in advance, for up to three consecutive days, and a producer may hold up to five reservations at any time. If you have a kit checked out, and you need it for a longer period of time, you can call back on the day it is due to see if you are able to extend the reservation. Late returns are billable at $20 per day, and are due by 6:00pm on the day of return. To reserve a kit, just call or stop by.
Three edit suites (with iMovie and Final Cut Pro), as well as open lab hours with additional workstations containing top-of-the-line video and graphics software for postproduction, are now available for reservations. Producers who have been trained and certified to use our edit suites may make a reservation to use available workstations during regular program hours.
PRODUCTION (MINI / FLASH) STUDIO: LIVE SHOWS & RECORDINGS
The Flash Studio is a single-operator studio with three cameras, lights, and sound that can be used for live call-in programs or for simple, single-operator recording. A Producer must be trained and certified to utilize the Flash Studio.
- For live shows: Live, recurring studio show time slots are now available on a first-come, first-served basis between the hours of 5:00 - 7:00pm, Tuesday through Friday. Producers can sign up to do a live special during available times. Please contact us to express your interest in producing a live show.
- For live-to-tape recording: Producers may reserve the Flash Studio for recording during any regular business hours when the studio is not being used for live programs or training/certifications. To reserve the Flash Studio for recording, make a reservation on our web site.
PRODUCTION & EVENT SPACE
Members (at the Producer or Nonprofit Level only) may reserve our multipurpose room for production or for a noncommercial event once per month for up to four hours. The multipurpose room includes overhead production lighting lighting grid controlled by a light panel, a blue screen, a projector and sound system for screenings and presentations, and chairs to accommodate an audience of up to 50 people. Please note that the room is not currently sound-proofed for use as a studio. In the future, we hope to add additional soundproofing. To reserve the multipurpose room, make a reservation on our web site.